New tune for Triumph CF pipe?

Here's a newbie question:

I just received my Triumph CF pipe and I'm anxious to install it.  I called
the nearest dealer (not the one I bought the bike from - I bought it from a
dealer in a galaxy far, far away), asking about getting the new tune.  He
said they're supposed to be able to download the tune for the Y2K bikes
this Friday (seems weird... I know they've been selling Y2K bikes for some
time).

So, here's the question:  Does it hurt anything to install the pipe and
ride with it for several days before getting the new tune?  What does the
new tune do?

Thanks,

Dan Wolf
Blue '00 ST