RE: New tune for CF pipe

Dan Wolf wrote:

> So, here's the question:  Does it hurt anything to install the pipe and
> ride with it for several days before getting the new tune?  What does the
> new tune do?

>Congrats on the new pipe, Dan! I really like mine a lot. You don't
>*have* to get the new tune since the fuel injection system will
>compensate a bit for the different flow characteristics.

I rode mine for a week and a half sans new tune, the pipe just made more
noise... The new tune gives it more low end, at least it seemed to for me.
As for the "fuel injection system compensating", I think that is incorrect.
The Sagem system has no O2 sensors, so how it could tell the motor is
running lean (and add more fuel to compensate) is beyond me. The lack of any
sensors after the combustion chamber is what necessitates the downloading of
specific "tunes" to the computer. There are some system I know of (Ford
EEC-IV for example) that will automatically compensate for darn near all the
mods you care to do to your motor. Cams, exhausts, blowers, whatever, it
just reads from all it's sensors and sets the timing and mixture
accordingly.
In conclusion, install your pipe, enjoy the new engine sound, and then get
your tune installed, and enjoy the (tiny) performance boost. YMMV.

CA Stu