RE: Newbie llooking for info

Hi Tom,

My previous bike was a R80/7, which I loved until I was seduced by a test
ride on the Sprint ST.  The R80 was never the same again!  The power,
performance and handling are in a different world to the old BMW twins - no
matter how modified!

I can't give you any comparo on the ST vs. the RS as I've never ridden the
RS.  But I'm almost exactly the same height and build as you, and find the
ST riding position very comfortable (without bar risers or seat mods) for
long hours.  (I have a tank bag fitted and find this is good to lean against
on long rides)

One thing to watch for coming from a BMW:  the steering lock on these bikes
is much smaller than on the old airheads.  You'll need more space to turn
the bike around, and its less forgiving of errors in low speed maneuvering
(scratches on the right side of my fairing from when I dropped it at 1 or 2
mph remind me of this every time I ride!)

Get yourself to another dealer and get a test ride on both the ST and the
RS.  You gotta try before you buy.  I'd never buy from a dealer who wouldn't
give me a test ride.  If he won't do that for you before the sale, what's he
gonna do for you _after_ he has your money??

Good luck,

Mort Harries
Haworth NJ
'00 Sprint ST