Re: Our Bikes

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Johnny Gebruers wrote:

> Yo Erik
> The main reason of oil usage, is driving like a maniac with a cold engine,
> oil needs to be at hot to protect all seals, bearings and moving
> parts.

Yup, too true. Always allow the engine to warm up before
you get on the fun regulator. Not only do you nedd the oil to be warm
and flowing. The rings will expand a bit at temperature. So when you
engine is cold and you are flogging it, either high RPM or
lots ham fisting on a cold engine the rings will not be in proper contact
with the cylender walls and may cause premature engine ware, that
of course leads to increased oil consumption.

I am not overly carefull with my low compression truck engine, but
with the much higher compression bikes, they are up to full operating
temperature before I go above 5k RPM or 25% power.

YMMV of course.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664