panic attack now over!

Picked up my ST today from the workshop.
Although it is still very much under warranty, I was worried that the oil
leak indicated something major.
However, it seems that the clutch case had worked loose and oil was being
sprayed out in a fine jet, to virtually all parts of the bike on that side
of the machine.
As a result, oil was being sucked in with the air and into the starter
system. This is why the bike was proving difficult to impossible to start
last week, as the fuel mixture was just too rich for it to cope.
The mechanic also replaced the solenoid (that thing clicking under the seat)
and showed me the bad egg he removed - looked pretty corroded and knackered
to me - after just 6,000 miles?!
So it seems that the two problems were interrelated in a strange way -
though where the solenoid fits into all this, I have no idea.

Tim