BT020 tire pressure

Jan Draper <ddraper@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> These days I'm running 32 lbs front 36 lbs rear.  Earlier I ran
> 34 lbs front 38 lbs rear (cold pressures).
[...]
> The owner's manual recommends 36 lbs front/42 lbs rear for
> one up or two up.  I'd be willing to try those pressures bu
> haven't because-

> (1) I've never heard such high pressures recommended for radial
>     motorcyle tires anywhere else, ever.  For instance Reg Pridmore,
>     in his class school, recommends no more than 32/34 lbs.

    Is that for track or street?  All the tyres for my T3 Daytona and
the Sprint ST have had recommended pressures of 36/41 or 36/42 - that
includes Metzelers, Bridgestones and Avons.

> (2) Such stiff tires would make for a punishing ride.  I suppose I
>     could help that somewhat by adjusting the suspension.  But on my
>     Nighthawk I notices that stiffer tires meant sorer wrists.

    With standard ST suspension I think you could ride with solid wooden
tyres ;-)

> (3) The worst wear is in the center of the rear tire.  On my cars,
>     higher pressure accelerates wear in the center and saves the
>     edges.  Would it be different for a bike?

    I wouldn't have thought so.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              The easier it is for people to find
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___    Perl programmers, the more Perl there
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   will be in the world and the less
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   suffering and misery
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                     -- Jonathan Peterson