Re: oil leak (down sidestand) / new program

thanks for all the tips... never ceases to amaze me the cumulative knowledge on the list.
The oil leak seems to be getting less, but its definitely oil. I suspect it is the new chain that is overtight and causing this seal to leak. I will check and adjust tonight.
Otherwise I am very happy with the major improvements at the service; cured the brake lever travel with a caliper rebuild (no charge!), and the new program makes riding in town a lot more fun :)  Even lifted the front wheel at a light which I have never done before.
Now, if I can just replace the panels with those lovely BRG ones....
cheers
Jonathan

At 01:43 PM 7/17/00 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
>after 2 weeks away I went to the ST this morning to find a small pool of
>oil by the sidestand 'foot'. Last time I used it was riding it back from
>the dealers after the 20,000km service.
>I cant find a source for the leak, and the amount is quite small.   Could
>it just be overfilled, and the result of leaving it on a slight forward
>slope in the garage?

As Paul suggested, it may just be chain lube that has dripped down off the
front sprocket. However it may also be from the seal at that same location.
An over-tightened chain slightly compresses this seal allowing a small
amount of oil to seep out. As you just had a service performed, this may
also be the source. Give a check to your chain tension - be sure you are
checking it at the tightest point.

- - Eric