Re: New boy on the block

I wouldn't throw away the disc lock just yet. I stopped using mine for the
same reason (almost). I witnessed a few falls but, luckily it never
happened to me. I figured my time was coming though.....

and I felt that it just did not offer very much protection. For trips where
I would be parking the bike at night, I had one of those "un-cuttable"
chains and abloy (sp?) locks. Problem was that the setup weighed about 25
lbs and took up a large amount of very valuable space. So I was off in
search of something a little lighter that might act as a deterrent while on
my road trip. What I found was the perfect solution to my problem. It's
called "barbed wire" and is also made by Kryptonite (who makes most of the
disc locks). It consists of 5foot length of 15mm braided cable (with a
vinyl cover) with a loop on one end and cuff that slides onto a Disc Lock
on the other. You run the loop around something non moveable (post etc),
another bike, or through the rear wheel, run the cable to the front wheel,
insert the disc lock, and lock to your disk. Presto - your bike is
reasonably secure.

Pretty slick setup - best thing is that it weighs only 2.8lbs......

- - Eric