Re: Oil consumption?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Winter <kwinter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Group,
>
> I have a concern about oil consumption rates.  I just talked with
> the service adviser at my dealer and his response was "just keep
> an eye on it" and "it could be normal, depending on how well the
> engine is broken in", so I wanted to run this past the list for
> additional opinions.
>
> My '00 RS has just under 4k miles on it.  The break-in service
> was performed at about 800 miles, during which the standard
> Triumph-branded synthetic was put in.  They used the standard
> gallon size jug, I expect, so the crankcase was just slightly over
> full.
>
> Until this past weekend, the engine had used very little oil; the
> level had dropped some, but it was still near the upper level
> marker.  This past weekend, I had three other riders up to my
> cabin in the Sierra Nevada for some "sporty" riding in the passes
> between California and Nevada.  We strafed the highways and
> twisties pretty good, but I was not riding especially harder than is
> my norm when I'm in that sort of terrain.  Our maximum altitude
> was in the Sonora Pass, which was 9624 feet.  Overall, the
> weekend riding put on about 600 miles.
>
> During the course of the weekend riding, the oil level dropped to
> somewhere between the upper level mark and the center of the
> sight glass.  This seems like kind of a lot of oil use, to me,
> especially in only 600 miles, considering how much was used
> during the previous 2500 miles.
>
> I stuck rigidly to the break-in procedure, so, if there is a problem,
> I don't think it is directly due to improper break-in.
>
> So, my question: is this normal oil usage for a relatively new
> Triumph engine?  Does hard riding at altitude cause any
> increased oil use?  (I can't imagine why it would.)
>
> Thanks for any inputs.
>
> -Keith
> '00 Sprint RS
> Fremont, CA, USA

Hello Keith,

My ST has 24,000 miles on the clock now and from about 6,000 miles it has
used some oil.
It uses just under a litre of oil every 6,000 miles. My dealer tells me this
is OK and not to worry. They have seen some ST/RS and Daytonas burn far more
oil than this. They tell me it has far more to do with manufacturing
tolerances than anything we have done during the break-in period.

Regards, Ian
Kent, England