Re: New boy on the block

Keith Peters wrote:

> >BTW I'm throwing away that damned disk lock.  Wrecker says they aren't >
all
> >that helpful, they can be cut off quickly with bolt cutter or hacksaw.
>
> Why throw it ? It kept you from riding off didn't it, and your the owner
!!

My disk lock failed to open when I was on tour in Scotland - it was several
years old and the lock was worn out.  Fortunately it wasn't on the bike, or
I'd really have been stuck.  I went to a shop in Edinburgh where the guy was
so knowledgeable about locks & how to break them that I had to wonder if he
was a bike thief in his spare time!

His comment on cast disk locks was that thieves spray them with lighter fuel
to freeze them, put a chisel against the inside of the U bend, hit it with a
hammer and the lock breaks open - cold brittle fracture of the U bend -
takes about 30 seconds.  If you're going to use a disk lock, make sure it's
one where the U-bend is forged, not cast material.  In the UK, they have
ratings like "thief-proof for 1 minute" which are useful when you're looking
for a good lock.

Neil