RE: Whaddaya shift at???

Maximum OVERALL acceleration is to be had by changing up at max revs in each
gear, though the maximum acceleration in any one gear will occur at the
torque peak (NOT at the power peak).

There are some bikes (a Ducati 996 Biposto for one) where the torque curve
in one gear dips below that of the next gear, well before the limit. In
these cases, maximum overall acceleration is achieved at cross over (i.e.
more absolute torque is available in the next gear for all speeds beyond
that point). But as you see, the ST doesn't have any of these, so I presume
the chaps at Hinckley have done their homework.

>     For the lower gears it appears that there is greater acceleration
> available at all points in the rev range than the next higher gear.

Yup! Try doin' a wheelie in sixth to verify this!

What you will find is that where there is a big gap between the torques in
the adjacent gears, e.g. first to second, there's a big transmission snatch
when you change; whereas between say fifth and sixth, there's virtually
none.

BRG