re: Adjusting Chain

>  From: "mksdouglas" <mksdouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 07/25/2000 11:49:
>  I am hoping someone here can explain to me in plain english...

	Well, here's how I do it. Disclaimer: It may be right, may be wrong,
but the chain hasn't fallen off or overheated yet. I put the bike up on the
centerstand and the transmission in gear (with the motor off) to hold the front
sprocket in place. Then I rotate the rear wheel backward 'til the top of the
chain is tight and the bottom of the chain is slack. Then check the freeplay of
the lower, slack side by measuring the distance you can raise the chain by
pushing up in the middle of the slack area. This method completely unloads the
rear suspension, so the tolerances are much looser. DO NOT tighten your chain
real snug in this position or it'll be too tight once you put the weight of the
bike and rider back on it. That'll overheat your chain and cause a very
dangerous situation - a chain letting go at 70mph is not something I want to
experience. The tightest I'd adjust it in this position is probably an inch of
movement top-to-bottom.
	Now the really correct way to do it is with the rear suspension under
load - preferably either your two biggest buddies sittin' on the bike or cinch
down the rear end somehow. Then you can measure the actual slack under heavy
load, which should be very little - maybe a quarter to half inch. This is more
important on dirtbikes or the Tiger with a long suspension travel.
	If the chain is slack enough to rub the guide when you're leaned over
to the left, it needs tightening, at least in my opinion. I had my Triumph
mechanic check it when mine started making noise and he said it was still
within tolerances, but I tightened it back up a bit anyway 'cause I'm not fond
of funny noises when I'm riding - makes me think something's about to go wrong.

YMMV,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA