slow death to the pannier

I have not had the discoloration problem with my panniers (yet).
However, my left pannier seems to be slowly self destructing.  I have
now found two captive nuts rolling around inside the pannier with the
stud snapped off inside the nut(one early on and one after 1000 miles or
so).  Recently I noticed two of the plastic ends that attac the straps
to the case have virtually turned to powder.  Funny thing is that I have
not had anything in this pannier except extra gloves and my electric
jacket liner during the cold months.  Don't think either of these would
cause those problems.  Any one else with pannier problems or solutions?
So far the dealer is pretending that these are not legitament problems.