Re: English Trip comments plus some French additions

Martin at 12:03 07/06/2000 , you wrote:
>      Just got back from a trip to visit friends in England and Wales last
>      week. Since we were specifically traveling to visit people we only
>      covered 1200miles in the week but it's the first time I've used the
>      bike in touring rather than sports mode. Laden up with the hard
>      panniers, 45L Givi topbox and Bagster tank bag I was impressed with
>      how well the bike handled. The handling was very light at the front
>      end when fully loaded but I suspect that some fine tuning of the rear
>      preload would have helped here.

Also did similar miles during my recent trip to France in my first ever
trip in full touring mode. My Bagster tank bag also proved a good buy. The
only problem I found was that fully loaded and expanded it made the bike
seem more prone to side winds, very scary at times even reducing the speed
to 40 - 50mph with thoughts of 'what am I doing here' rushing through my head.

You pointed out the light front end. This was also a problem with my bike
during the trip made worse with the side winds (thought it may have been
the BT57's but you ride with Avons). I kept adding rear pre-load to try to
move some weight forward until it was only one turn off max and it still
felt light. The bike only had panniers on, no top box, my wife and I. Not
sure how you move on from this as the adjustment was nearly maxed. New
shock or a diet may be the solution......

>      Tennis shoes: I'm hoping this was a joke (Yes?) On my journey back up
>      through England (M5 Exeter to Birmingham) we were sitting at 90MPH in
>      the outside lane when we were hit by a large piece of debris. It
>      appeared to be one of those extended mirror brackets fitted to cars
>      while towing caravans (Triangular, three legged, 2ft long). It had
>      been lying in the road and was thrown up by a vehicle in front. I
>      estimate the impact speed was well in excess of 100MPH.

Ouch!

>      Fuel economy: I'm astounded!

Forgot to measure mine, so no feedback available, but I did get the
impression that the bike did quite well due to the rare visits to petrol
stations.

'LongTail' only give one pause for concern during the trip. On the way to
France and still in the UK we stopped for coffee and fuel on the M1 and on
returning to the bike it refused to tick over. Fists full of throttle and
we limped to the petrol station. I filled up and restarted the bike and all
was fine with no hint of the problem and nothing of it since.

So after my first trip abroad (sorry Martin I don't class Ireland as abroad
due to the amount of time I spend there) and the distance overed my only
complaint would have to be the light front end. If anybody has any ideas,
please feel free to air them (as if you lot need prompting to air your views).

Keith W Peters
Wrexham. UK

"Cymraeg Dawg & Long Tail (00 Blue ST)"