Re: First Track day!

Mick Tuck wrote:

> I'd be grateful if anyone had any hints or tips re these days.

Matt and Lance already gave you some good advice, but I'll chip in with
my two cents, too. I'd recommend thoroughly studying any of Keith Code's
books, then going out and working on specific skills one at a time.
Don't get caught trying to make a bunch of different changes (for
example, riding position, riding line, and gear selection) all at once
and expect to be able to determine whether those changes are helping or
hurting.

Ignore your speedo and focus on your tach, especially at the exit of a
turn. Try a new line and see if you pick up or lose a few hundred RPM at
the exit point. Follow another rider at a safe distance and see how they
go through a tricky part.

Work on being extremely smooth in your transitions on and off throttle
and brake, and in your downshifts. Don't upset the bike by making jerky,
rapid transitions. Ease into the brakes and throttle, paying close
attention to the limits of traction. The limits are higher than you
probably imagine, but work up to them very gradually. (Make sure your
tires are warm, too. Even if you stop for a few minutes they'll cool off
again and take another three laps or so to get back up to temperature.)

Most of all, relax and have fun! Oh, and let us know how it goes!

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA