RE: Outranked by Major Engine Damage - Part 3

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of Marc Cook
>
> Rick:
>
> How long did the engine run without oil at 9800 miles? Did
> the oil light come on?

As soon as I felt the impact, I disengaged the clutch and released the
throttle. As I was coasting towards the side of the road the oil
pressure light came on and I killed the engine using the kill switch.
I probably coasted a quarter mile or so all together, with the engine
running (at idle) for about half of that. The whole thing seemed to
take forever, but I would be surprised if it ran for more than a few
seconds with decreasing pressure, and less than a second with the
light on.

Frankly, I was more concerned about possible transmission damage than
engine damage. I couldn't stop the transmission shafts when the oil
pressure light came on. I could and did stop the engine right away.
Part of why I did my own oil changes after that was so that I could
monitor the oil for evidence of bearing wear - which did not appear. I
still don't know for certain what happened to the engine (still not
apart) but I don't quite believe that the engine bearings were damaged
at 9800 miles yet managed to avoid shedding any bearing material until
24,000 miles later.