Re: First Track day!

- --IMA.Boundary.9830640690

     Hi Tux,

     I've had the ST on the track a few times now and I can assure you
     you'll have a ball.

     General stuff:
     Wear good riding gear. Just in case.
     Take the first session to get used to the circuit.
     Allow one lap to let your tyres get up to temperature.
     When the more experienced riders are out watch their lines and braking
     points. If you get these right in your first track day you'll be doing
     well. Brake early initially to give yourself time to get a smooth line
     around the bends. Once you get a smooth set of lines sorted you can
     then worry about going faster, braking later and braking harder.

     Bike set up.
     Wind up the front preload until there is only one bar showing.
     Drop the pressure in the rear tyre. I ended up running 34lbs front and
     36lbs rear but this varies by tyre choice.
     If you can afford it buy decent tyres for the session. The
     bridgestones aren't up to the job and in an emergency every extra bit
     of grip can save your bacon. The stickier the tyre the greater the
     margin for error.
     Fold you mirrors in or tape them up. Watching other bikes in the
     mirrors is automatic for road riders and is a big distraction on the
     track.
     Raise the tickover to about 2500RPM. This will help to stop the rear
     from locking on downshifts.

     Style:
     Try to be smooth on the throttle and brakes. This is especially
     important on the ST as the front end does not respond well to being
     put under pressure. Give the forks time to settle after braking before
     peeling in and try to come off the brakes gently as the front rebound
     damping isn't up to much.

     As you've already been advised, read Keith Codes book. But I'd wait
     for your second track day before trying out the techniques, one at a
     time. I've seen lots of guys go off the tarmac trying to hang off/get
     their knee down/pivot steer before learning the lines, braking points
     or even simply where the corners are.

     Have fun,
     Martin,
     Dublin, Ireland

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software

- --IMA.Boundary.9830640690