Re: Trip $$

Leatherbiker writes:
 > My own view is that if the destination is too far to get to without
 > months of planning, then it's probably best and easiest, albeit not
 > necessarily cheapest, to use a good holiday or bike-hire company
 > like Lotus.

    I think you're not far wrong, and if anyone is planning to go to
New Zealand I (and probably Chuck Packard) can heartily recommend
Thunderbike in Nelson.  They've got a web site, but it's on my work
machine (I hope).  I believe that they now use STs as their tour
bikes.  (How's that Fitz?  Do I get a discount next time? ;-)

 > And at the end of the day, it's a small price to pay for having
 > your gear lugged around and the expertise and backup of the guides.

    It *is* nice to have your kitchen sink lugged around by a support
van!

 > I've requested more details about the trip around Spain in the
 > autumn, so maybe I should start saving?

    For slightly (!) cheaper European tours (you bring the bike) you
could try Moto Tours on +44 1920 871988 - I did a tour of France with
them two years ago and it was nearer the auberge than the five-star
end of the scale, but was well organised and the accomodation was
perfectly acceptable.  There was no support van, but hey, sometimes
you have to rough it ;-)

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_               I don't have the time or the fridge
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Richard Moore