Performance Can, Throw-over Panniers, ZG screen

Today, I had the Triumph Performance Silencer (stainless) installed and
the new EFI tune uploaded on my Sprint ST.  I really like the sound...
more growl, but not obnoxiously loud.  There's more "rumble" on trailing
throttle which is very "twin-like".  While cruising at 5K RPM, there's
only a bit more noise and it's very much like an in-line four.  But
accelerating briskly from 3K to 6K the new silencer emits out a unique
wail that only a triple can produce (and that's a sound that makes
accelerating briskly even more fun!).

The bike responds much better from very low RPMs (1500 - 3000).  Since I
had a new rear tire installed and the roads were wet, I did not take any
chances to see how the bike performs above 6000 RPM.  From 3K to 6K, the
bike pulls a bit stronger than with the stock can, but it's not a big
difference.

I also detected a bit more vibration at around 5K... could just be my
imagination due to poor road surfaces.  Regardless, the soulful sound of
the new silencer is worth the price of admission, especially since it's
a mechanical baffle design which does not require repacking.

Interestingly, the Performance Silencer I purchased has a Triumph badge
riveted on the side just as depicted in the '99 Accessory catalog (see a
photo on Eric's webpage at
http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/trican/index.htm).  The only other
Performance Silencer I've seen was on Paul and Dee's ST and that unit
did not have the badge.

My 12-year-old Chase-Harper ET-4000 soft bags are getting a little long
in the tooth so I opted to replace them with the Triumph Sport
Throw-Over Panniers.  When fully expanded (yes, they are expandable!),
the Triumph bags have almost the same capacity as the C-H panniers, but
are a custom fit to the RS/ST models.  They easily clear the silencer
when it's in the "upswept" position (the C-H bags come very close to
hitting the muffler).  The cordura nylon is coated with polyurethane on
the interior surfaces.  The plastic body panel protectors are really
nice and the mounting brackets can be installed in well under an hour.
The brackets are very inconspicuous... nearly invisible.   Nits to pick
- - I'm not crazy about the seat pad that needs to be attached to the
saddle and the stay straps could be simplified/easier to use by using
Fastex type buckles instead of loop buckles.  I can mount the C-H bags
much more quickly thanks to their true "throw over" design and simple
strap system (Fastex).

There are integral rain covers sewn into little accessory pockets on the
side of each bag.  Having rain covers is great.  Having them sewn into
the bag is good and bad -- good because you can't lose them should they
fly off the pannier (looking like dragster parachutes), but bad because
they take up precious space in the pannier.  That's just personal
preference, though.  Installed, the bags don't look as good in person as
they do in Accessory Catalog (or website), but to be fair, I've never
seen any soft luggage look as good in person as they do in brochure
photos.  The panniers in the catalog photo don't have the plastic
protectors mounted or the pannier stay straps mounted making for a much
cleaner look.  Regardless, the bags are still very nice.  I'll find out
how well they perform when Dirty Dawg and I head out to Colorado next
week.

I also installed a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen.  This is a
very nice design.  I am 5' 10" (178 cm) tall and at 70 mph (113 kph) the
wind blast now hits me at about nose level compared to the stock screen
which directed the wind to just below my chin.  The wind blast is
"softer" compared to the stock screen reducing the strain on my neck
muscles.  The airflow is very smooth and the sound level is the same as
with the stock screen (I use earplugs so it's a wash anyway).  At the
same time, there's still plenty of wind hitting my shoulders to support
my upper body keeping some weight off of my wrists and hands.  At lower
speeds (about 40 mph/ 64 kph) there is larger pocket of still air
created.  The Double Bubble is a good choice for "softening" the wind
flow rather than increasing wind/weather protection.

The much taller ZG Sport Touring screen wasn't an option for me as it
would likely take all the wind off my upper body leaving the full weight
of my upper body on my hand and wrists.  However, for anyone using
handlebar risers, I think the Sport Touring windscreen would be well
worth considering.

That's my accessory report for today.

GG
aka "Wiener Dawg"