Re: Tune Number

Since I have now spoken to several other dealerships I think I'm getting
closer to an understanding of what is going on with the Gameboy and FI
tunes.  I have taken the liberty in the following desciption to fill in some
blanks myself, so it is entirely possible that I may not have all the facts
straight yet.

I understand that new tunes are distributed by Triumph via e-mail.   To
enable the Gameboy to accept these new new tunes the ROM in the Gameboy also
must be updated.  I am assuming that the tune data itself is encripted and
that an updated Gameboy ROM allows it to be de-cyphered.  That way Triumph
can (hopefully) prevent unauthorized use of the tune data.  I'm told that
the Gameboy ROM actually uses Flash memory, but that may be irrelevant,
since Triumph apparently ships updated ROMs directly to each dealer.   I am
assuming that the ROM is only updated after a major release (eg. version 9),
and that there is therefore no need to update this ROM for each individual
new patched tune that may be released under a given version.  Maybe some
dealers just don't want to revert to older ROMs to enable loading tunes from
previous releases.

Personally I don't believe that the ECU on the bike cares what tune is being
downloaded, but theoretically it could be controlled there as well I
suppose.  I can see situations that might arise where an older tune is
desirable, but maybe Triumph disagrees.

Please feel free to correct me if any of the above is incorrect.