1st annual Mines Mercedes Run

Last reminder, should be great weather. In case you thought this only
for
Triumphs, it isn't. As always, all motorcycles are welcome, but I'd love
to see a bunch of Triumphs out there. Oh, and I just added a rear-facing
camera to the arsenal, so I hope to get some great footage of everyone.
Please come if you can, should be great fun!!

>From before:
Hey there Triumph riders, ESPECIALLY THOSE IN THE SF BAY AREA!
How about joining me for the First Annual Mines Mercedes Configuration
Run, or Mines Mercedes for short. I would like to do this at 9AM
on Saturday, June 24th. Seems to me that Sunday is more squidly.
As you know, the Mercedes logo is a three pointed star, so this is a three
pointed Route.

Starting at Mines Rd and Del Valle Road in Livermore.

Directions:
Livermore Central Exit (Livermore Ave) off Hwy 580, go right. Stay on
this road. There is a Standard Station just off the freeway on the right.
(I usually top off there). Also a Shell Station on the left in town.
When Livermore Ave turns left out in the vineyards it becomes Tesla Rd
First right is Del Valle Rd. Go out a few miles, Mines is on the left,
just before the road starts climbing. There is a small turnout just opposite
Mines Road.

I will stop and set up my video cameras here. I will arrive at about
8:45. I'd like to depart promptly at 9AM. You can tell it is me because
I'll be parked just opposite Mines with cameras, sporting my new
Triumph Retro Jacket (checkered band near the top, Triumph stuff
all over. I'm sure that will make me much faster than
my old jacket :-). We can leave in waves of 10 (ever the optimist)
or less so we don't really crowd the road too much.

I'm sure there will be passing, just don't terrorize the person you are
passing. Conversely, check your mirrors OFTEN. Wave other riders through
so they aren't tempted to rocket past when they get an opportunity to.
(This is just standard courteous riding in any case). I would like to start
out at the tail of the pack and work my way forward, this will allow me
to get everyone on video. It would be great to get a minute or two of
everyone so that you can later critique your own riding style. I doubt
that I'll be able to catch the really fast guys though.
Hmmm. I may have to rethink this strategy.

With the addition of the second camera, I may try leading and letting
everyone come around. That way I'll be able to get some from and some
from the rear of everyone. More on this as we ride, I'm sure we'll
figure out something :-)

In any case we'll regroup at least
three times after the start, so I should be able to get something of
everyone. In your mirrors, you can tell it's me because I have the Kriss
headlight modulator (both headlights blink about 2 times per second) on
a Red ST with bags. I will send out a video tape that can make the
rounds after the ride. If you want your own copy, we can talk about it.

The first leg is Mines Road to The Junction. This rest stop serves food and
drink, but doesn't open until about 10AM. We may stop briefly to let the
adrenaline wind down, even though there will be no food/drink service.
Next down Del Puerto Canyon Rd to Hwy 5. This is more sweepers than twisties.

There is a gas station and mini-store, so you can gas up if you
need it, or grab some munchies. Now is a good time to clean your visor.

Back up to The Junction. We might stop and get a bite to eat, but they are
notoriously slow in delivery.

Next continuing up San Antonio Valley Rd (which Mines becomes when it crosses
into Santa Clara County) to the top of Mt. Hamilton. Another brief rest stop.
Bathrooms are available. For those in the South Bay, you can peel off here
and go down the frontside.

Back down to The Junction.  After a brief pitstop at the Junction, the
rest of us can gather, do a quick headcount and do the final leg to
Livermore.

Round trip :
approx 125 miles, 2.5 hours riding time, about 2130 turns.
For those going to the South Bay, subtract 43.5 miles, 1 hour, and 765 turns.
I have no stats on the frontside, but it is very twisty and slippery, so be
careful (lots of mung on the roads, so I hear).
If we stop at each opportunity for 15 minutes, plus 45 for lunch, this adds
almost 2 hours, so I'd guess anywhere between 4 to 5 hours for the ride,
from Livermore back to Livermore.  If we start at 9AM at Mines Rd, this
brings us back by 2PM. I'll bring both a still and video cameras.

This is a ride at your own pace kind of a deal. Nobody will be racing,
but going at their own pace. Some have paces significantly faster than others.
I have ridden this ride several times, and have had both sublime and
adrenaline junky kinds of rides. You'll find you get way more adrenaline
pumping if you come around a corner and find a truck hogging the WHOLE road,
so be careful. Last weekend I caught up to a truck (18 wheeler size)
going to pickup a large Caterpillar bull-dozer. I thought,
"Man am I glad I didn't catch this thing coming the opposite way!". On every
corner, the rear wheels went off the road, one side or the other.  But
don't be put off by this, just ride within your capability.

So, sound like fun?? It does to me. We can't all make it to the Rallye this
year, so why don't we send them a video of the Western Edition of the
BlueRidge Parkway. I'll send a copy of the video to Eric so he can share
with all the other Rallyers.

Red Dawg
Paul Master
99 Red Sprint ST "Flash"