Re: How to deal with tolls

Here in the NY metro area we have the transponder system. They call it
EZPass. Mine is mounted, with velcro tabs to the inside of my wind
screen. I have this fear that it will one day fall off so I have a nylon
cord with a plastic dog clip tied around it and I clip it to my key
ring.

All the bridges and tunnels have EZPass lanes. From what Don posted, it
seems that CA has a better system. The EZPass lanes are not all in one
spot and there is no consistency as to where they are. For example, the
Lincoln Tunnel has, from left to right, 1 EZPass, 2 cash, 2 EZPass, 3
cash, 2 EZPass and 2 cash. Furthermore, one is supposed to slow down to
5 mph. If you transponder doesn't register then they take a photo of
your plates and charge your account (no account? big fine) And then
there are the lanes that have the gates. If the transponder doesn't
register then you have to wait for some putz to come over and give you
grief for having the transponder on a cord. If they can't get the
transponder to register then they manually write down the license and
EZPass numbers. Those moments are a major PITA but in the long run the
the EZPass is worth it.

In some agreement with other toll authorities, in addition to NY and NJ,
the EZPass can be used on the Mass Pike, Boston bridges and tunnels,
Philadelphia bridges, and toll roads in Delaware and West Virginia.

In addition to watching out for your tires slipping on the oil in the
toll plaza, watch out where you put down your foot. I almost went over
one day but I was able to replant my foot at the last second.

One day this past week, as I was about to enter the EZPass booth at the
Lincoln Tunnel I glanced to my right and, lo and behold, sitting in the
middle of the next toll booth lane was a piece of 2x4 channel iron about
18 inches long. Wow! I thanked the traffic gods that I didn't have to
encounter that!

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"
1980 Honda CM400T "My Little Red Putt-Putt"

I.A.T.S.E. Locals #52 & 84

"The moment you're born you start dying.
 So you might as well have a good time."
                             Cake