Re: Radiator failure on ST

David,

If you follow the radiator threads in the archive you'll find similar tales
of woe. The last I heard on the matter is that the new, apparently more
robust, type of radiator (which you now have) fixes the problem finally. My
original radiator failed at around 3000km but its replacement (still of the
original type) has now lasted for over 12000km without fault. I have to
admit I still don't fully trust it and still check it after most long rides.
Many others, such as yourself, have not been so fortunate - with multiple
failures common - but it seems to have affected a statistically low number
of machines in total. Small comfort to us, hey?

It certainly shows the level of commitment people have to this fine
motorcycle when they persist in the face of failures like this. I am very
tolerant as long as the factory and dealer offer support - which they
certainly did in my case - and a logical causal conclusion is eventually
reached, but even I would have thrown in the towel (and probably the bike
thru' the shop window!) after six occurrences. Congratulations on your
patience and here's hoping (touch wood) that none of us ever again see green
fluid where it shouldn't be. Oh, and have a blast on your coming ride! I
just completed a 4000km round trip and, well, gotta love this bike!! :-))

Paul Bulfin.
Brisbane, Australia.
Black '99 S/T.