TT600 test ride report

Hi,
Managed to squeeze in a 30 min test ride on the TT600 last night while dropping off the ST for a 20tkm service (and no major problems or 'off road' time in 16 months of use!).
The TT is light and low.  Dash looks cheap and nasty compared with ST. Digital speedo is useless IMHO, as it is much easier to get used to a dial position (and know roughly the speed in a glance) rather than have to read the no's off the display!
The handling is fantastic. I have never had a bike that low in corners before and the pegs were nowhere near the floor.  So stable and the ride is fantastic too. Makes the ST standard suspension look quite cheap.  The engine is tuned like a 2-stroke and completely impractical for road use (not like a CBR).  Nothing happens until 7000rpm, by which time the engine is screaming. It is very loud even with the 85dBa standard pipe, and offensive in town.  Beyond that the throttle is extremely sensitive, as are the brakes which makes town riding a nightmare - at least the clutch is light.  7-14 thousand are rather fun, when the bike goes ballistic.  The black frame is not nice - big mistake in terms of looks I think.  Other than that the paintwork and finish are excellent.  Seat is very comfortable, as is the riding position.
The biggest thing I noticed is the complete lack of character compared to the ST (or any triple in the range).  I dont think anyone would buy a Triumph just on price or performance (except the ST of course!), but also because they are special. The TT is not special.  The engine is like any 4/4 sewing machine.  I think a 600 triple sport tourer would have been more interesting - a new class even. Noone in their right mind will tour on a TT (the CBR is different).  I think the air-cooled Bonneville will be much more interesting, and certainly have 'character'.  I wonder how the sales of the TT are doing?  My dealer was not optimistic - he is still selling more STs.  The BRG colour on the ST for next season looks fantastic. Might have to trade my black one :)
cheers
Jonathan