preperation for longish trip question

Otterboy  <jong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>   On Friday the 14th of July, I'll be leaving here (seattle, wa, USA)
> and heading down to Monterey to present a paper at a conference.

    Not the ORA Perl Conference 4.0 by any chance?

> It's about 1000 miles down I-5, but I'm planning on coming down 101/1,
> and then I might try and do a saddlesore on the way home coming up
> I-5.

    If you're planning to enjoy the ride, don't go for too much distance
in a day.  Especially, don't go for too much distance on the first day,
as you could wear yourself out for the following days.  Also, 1,000
miles of twisties is a *lot* more work than 1,000 miles of freeway.

    Depending on how easy it will be, you might set out with no
accomodation booked and ride for as long as you feel comfortable on the
first day and then adjust the following days to suit.

    As you'll have a deadline for arrival, plan so that you can switch
from interesting roads to superslab if you have to make up time.

>   Is there anyone who has suggestions about things to do to the bike
> before leaving?  Should I have the mechanics at the dealer give it a
> once over?  I've never done this kind of distance before...

    It can't hurt, although it sounds like you've got a good list of
things to check yourself.

>   Bikewise, I plan on:

> 	 1.  changing the oil
> 	 2.  printing a list of dealers
> 	 3.  checking brakes
> 	 4.  checking radiator

    Check your tyres - it's a pain to get new ones during a trip.

    Most of all, have fun!

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_             All I need to buy now is some Ability,
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___   and I'll be sorted.
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                          -- Craig Dalkin