Re: preperation for longish trip question

  Blake> Otterboy wrote:
  >> Is there anyone who has suggestions about things to do to the
  >> bike before leaving?  Should I have the mechanics at the dealer give
  >> it a once over?

  Blake> is to not make any changes to the bike without taking at least a couple
  Blake> of rides to test them out. So, for example, don't change the oil and
  Blake> then immediately head out on your long-mileage trip, only to find out
  Blake> you didn't tighten the drain plug enough.

  This I have learned well.  I recently did the Alcan 5000
(http://www.alcan5000.com), and at 3am the morning before the rally,
we were welding a new extended-range 38 gallon gas tank for the
landcruiser so it would fit around the exhaust system.  The first
couple days were very nerve wracking as we checked every time we
stopped for gas leaks.  I knew it was a terrible idea, but we had
modified the original fuel pump bracket so the fuel pump would sit on
the bottom of the newer deeper tank and there was no turning back.
You don't want to have a gas leak 150 miles up the Dalton highway in
February.  :)

  Thanks for the thoughts, Blake!

- -jong