Shift Lever

STP  <Reddy> writes:

> I've been reading all of the posts regarding removing the linkage
> shifter set-up and replacing it with a single pedal connected to the
> shaft.

> After thinking about if for a few minutes, I am not sure this is the
> best course of action, but would like to hear views to the contrary.
[...]

    Well, the Sprint engine is basically the same as the Daytona engine,
which gets the direct shifter as standard.

    I hadn't thought of the addition of non-rotational forces in that
way.  The worry I would have is that of dropping the bike and instead of
the shift linkage breaking, the shift shaft does nasty things to the
gearbox internals.  But presumably the gear lever is designed to be the
weak link.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_             All I need to buy now is some Ability,
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___   and I'll be sorted.
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                          -- Craig Dalkin