Re: Oil warning light

Gregory D Girard <ggirard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm no mechanic, but it would not be a strech to the speculate that
> the little oil-level detector widgit in the engine is on the fritz,
> since that is the part of the system most likely to be flakey.

    Panic over, that's what Chris at Jack Lilley thinks too :-)  *Big*
sigh of relief at my end; with the first race meeting this Saturday I
can do without problems with my road bike.

    Chris went on to say that they've seen this problem with the switch
many times, but have had no actual low oil pressure problems.  A squirt
of WD40 may help matters.

> Transducers like that are usually the most suspect element in any
> detection system.

    Bit of a shame really; the boy who cried "wolf!" and all that.

> I would guess this is a routine but major operation that is covered
> under warrantee.

    Major operation?  The switch is in an oil line on the right hand
side of the fairing; it can't be *that* difficult to replace.  Can it?

> As far as water in the electrics, it would seem odd to me that this
> would *cause* the connection necessary to turn the light on rather
> than cause it malfunction by not coming on when it should through
> creation of a short circuit or broken/corroded connection.

    It doesn't seem odd to me that unwanted water would cause a short
which would make the light come on.  What *does* seem odd to me is that
the warning light went out after the self-test and then came on again.

    Thanks Greg,

                Jim
- --
       jim@       ,'_            The *true* standard of excellence as
  gillespie.org  / -.--.    ___  regards 4 wheeled vehicles is how many
                _\_  ~-.`--'_.-' racing motorcycles you can shove in the
 '99 Sprint ST \__/ `---'  \__/                           -- Keith McKay