Re: Humm....!!!

EEK!  That totally sucks!  Get better quickly.

I had a near miss on one of those just this week... I was headed south
on 101 in San Francisco about 10 at night, admiring the fact that the
bike actually has decent headlights, and singing Booh songs.  (Dammit,
I like this bike too much... I sing to it when I'm riding.)  There was
a minivan slightly ahead of me in the lane to my right, and I started
to accelerate to get past her.  Just then, she decided that she wanted
to be in my lane.  Now.  She didn't seem to care that I was already
there.  And she had one of the economy model minivans that doesn't come
with turn signals.

I had no out to my left, and she came over too quickly for me to fly
ahead of her.  My only options seemed to be to slow down with all due
haste, or to pray to a god I didn't believe in... I elected to do
both.

While I was executing these maneuvers, a corner of my brain decided
that it would really suck to wreck a bike with only 350 miles on the
clock, and I swore that my baby was not going to touch the ground.  I
grabbed a handful of brake, and focused all of my attention on avoiding
both bumper and pavement.  The front end shook like a wet dog, but I
kept it under control and missed her by at least a foot.

As soon as I realized I was going to live, I was PISSED.  I laid on the
horn, then pulled up next to her and gave her a second blast.  She gave
me one of those "I fucked up" looks, and waved apologetically.

I got lucky this time.

- -Patti