First Race of the year

Sunday 5th March, Brands Hatch.

A very cold day, saw JL Racing at their first meeting of the
new season. It had been intended to be the first TT600 race,
but the best plans etc., saw that it was not to be.
So, Andi was on the old 'White Bike' that Batty rode in the
Isle of Man in '98, although it is now Blue/Yellow. The object
with this outing was to give Andi some race experience with the
D207's that he will be using in Superstock at the first round of
the British Championship on the 27th, not that he will be using
the same set of course! Most of the top riders in Sundays event
were on slicks which are worth about 1.5 secs.
The first race saw him on row two, no pre qualifying at this meeting,
and from the start he managed to get up to 2nd place, good start we
thought, he lost a couple of places and then horror, coming into
Paddock Hill bend he missed a gear and went wide, very wide, but
just managed to keep it on the circuit. Heart in mouth time for us
watching and for him. That little 'moment' lost him 4 places, dropping
down to 8th, still he soon got into the groove again and picked off
a couple and ended up 6th. The races were all 10 laps so actual
racing time was under 10 minutes, not long enough to settle in.
His second race was a start from row 6, another 10 laps, and he
battled up to a fine dice for 6th, 7th and 8th place, sneaking it
to a hard earned 7th.
Last race for Andi was the Champion of Brands and was a mix from all
classes. The race was delayed at the start, since someone had fallen
on the warm up lap, and once started was again stopped after 3 laps
due to an accident. The 7 lap restart and although he worked hard
with tyres that really had past their prime he finished 10th.
All in all, although we were not in the winners circle it had proved
to be an interesting test. His times improved through the day and
we are all confident with his ability. His first outing on the
595, against some good opposition on British Superbike 750's and
some quick R1's was we felt reasonably successful.
Clive was also having a rare outing on the Tiger in the Singles,
Twins, Triples and 250MZ races, with Alan Cole riding Francis's
'98 595. Alan had gone well the day before at Lydden Hill, winning
3 races. Although be broke a valve spring at the end of his last
race race, meaning an engine swap at Brands to be able to compete
for the day. Much midnight oil being burnt in the process.
The first race saw pupil beat master by .82 secs, the
old Tiger certainly looks a sight out there, especially when they were
lapping the slow MZ's, still both riders enjoyed their race.
The second outing saw Clive come in 2nd and Alan unable to better
4th place, the winner being on an indeciently fast Yamahe TRX.
Still we are back again next weekend for the National Championship,
I just hope that it is warmer, I'm still cold from yesterday!
Nice to meet Baz and I hope to see a few more of you next weekend,
if possible.

SL