RE Fatality stats

From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fatality stats
Jonathan West wrote:
You cannot forfiet your right of way. You can waive people on, flash
your lights, beep your horn, and tell them how to drive all you want,
but the right of way is the right of way. If you choose to ever take it
away from someone, guess who's at fault if it is eventful? Regardless of
who flashed his lights for the go ahead.
Be careful with this generalization -- I can vary from state to state in
the US, and thus I imagine it may not be accurate elsewhere in the
world. For instance, when I took the MSF Beginner course in Maryland I
was surprised to learn that Maryland traffic law considers a turn signal
to be a non-verbal agreement between the signaler and others on the
road.
Thus imagine the situation where a person is signaling their intention
to turn onto the side road you're on, and you pull out into the road
ahead of them. However, the other person doesn't turn and instead plows
into you. In Kansas you'd be the one at fault because you failed to
respect the other vehicle's right of way. In Maryland, though, the other
driver would be at fault because they were signaling their intention to
turn, thus yielding their right of way to you.
I imagine there are similar, different interpretations of flashing high
beams...<<

Blake,
A vehicle that pulls into the right of way must yield.  NOT the vehicle
in the right of way.  Even if the vehicle has a turn signal flashing and
the driver is using hand signals, THAT VEHICLE has the right of way and
you will be at fault if you challenge him.  Besides, we can never tell
just where these vehicles are turning can we?  Perhaps the vehicle is
wanting to make a turn 10 feet past where you are waiting to pull out.
Just how is he supposed to indicate that?  Wait till he passes you then
a fraction of a second later use the turn signal as he is making the
turn?  I cannot believe Maryland has a law that allows someone to
"yield" or forfiet his right of way.  I'll say it again, that's how
accidents happen.  The best defense is to trust NO ONE.  I don't want to
debate individual state law here but my point is to just don't ever
challenge another vehicle's right of way cuz it ain't worth it.

Ride Safely,
Jonathan West