TIRE MILAGE

Hi there STers

I need some info on rear tire milage.  As most of you already know Ive owned
Big Red since last thanksgiving. My wife & I left last friday for a trip to
the Coast-Pismo Beach, gorgeous clear weather, fairly warm.  Rode two up all
the way.  Sunday we rode up Hwy 1, experienceing a little wind, but really a
great ride.  Then home to Bakersfield via Hwy 166.  471 miles in all.  Short
trip by others standards, but lots of fun just the same. When we left the
back tire looked ok.  However in Santa Maria yesterday I noticed the rear
tire was not only squard off, but had the cord showing thru in a couple of
places.  As my wife and I are not lightweights, and Big Reds panier boxes
and trunk were packed, I expected more rapid tire wear. However I was a
little suprised to find cord showing thru, it was right in the middle of the
tread. Tire pressure was 42 lbs.  Needless to say the ride home was slower
than I had originally intended. The tire showed about the same amount of
wear when we got home, as when I discovered it.
What kind of tire milage can I expect from Bridgestone BT 57s?  I have a
friend with a bike shop that tells me that OEM installed tires are not as
good as aftermarket, even though they are the same brand.  So whadayathink?
Did I get a fair amount of milage from that OEM tire?
Did you guys/gals get any better?  And does everyone like the BT57s?

Regards
Burt
and Big Red