Re: CA Emissions

>Can anyone say with authority whether or not there are any performance gains
>from the absense of the CA Emissions stuff? My mechanic is willing to
>remove but
>he's going to charge me for that. Is it worth it?? How long should it take?
>What's involved?

The performance gain would mostly be a weight savings of a couple of
pounds. The carbon canister recycles the gas fumes that would otherwise
escape to the atmosphere. It doesn't affect horsepower. Some CA bikes have
other tuning differences such as cam timing to make them meet the higher CA
restrictions, I don't know what else the ST has. But when you get into
making those kind of changes you're talking bucks. If the mechanic is
talking about removing it, I assume he's referring to the carbon canister.

On a racetrack, yes it would make a difference, but rider skill is still
more important. If you really want to go faster, spend a day at a track
school.

On the street the change is going to be pretty small. I'm sure most of have
more than a couple extra pounds hanging on our bodies, maybe you could
remove one of your bodies polution control devices instead. How much does a
liver weigh? :^)

The environmentalist side of me would discourage anyone from purposely
making the bike run dirtier, just to save a few pounds of weight. I really
hate getting to the top of Mt. Hamilton on an average day and seeing the
quality of air we are breathing in the valley.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com