Bike weave..

While travelling home from Dublin after a golfing weekend I experienced a
strong weave from the back of the bike at 90mph. The sensation I got was
similar to a rear puncture, as the bike felt unstable on the back tyre. I
hit the hazard lights and coasted to the service area some 500 metres from
the start of the weave. I checked the tyre expecting a puncture but found
nothing.

The bike was loaded with both panniers being full and a three and a half
foot drainage pipe across the back containing a full set of golf irons. The
bike performed fine both prior to the event and after alas at a new maximum
speed of 80mph.

I had the suspensions setting on the Triumph standard settings except for
the rear pre-load, which I had increased by 2 clicks. The tyre pressures
had been checked and set to the recommended by Triumph prior to the trip.

>From the more experienced riders out there, are there any comments on what
could have caused this weave?

Keith W Peters
Senior Systems Engineer