Re: Bike weave..

Keith

> While travelling home from Dublin after a golfing weekend I experienced a
> strong weave from the back of the bike at 90mph. The sensation I got was
> similar to a rear puncture, as the bike felt unstable on the back tyre. I
> hit the hazard lights and coasted to the service area some 500 metres from
> the start of the weave. I checked the tyre expecting a puncture but found
> nothing.
>
> The bike was loaded with both panniers being full and a three and a half
> foot drainage pipe across the back containing a full set of golf irons. The
> bike performed fine both prior to the event and after alas at a new maximum
> speed of 80mph.

While I can't be 100% certain, it was probably the golf clubs.  Richard
& I rode to Utah with 85 pounds on the back of the bikes, including the
weight of the panniers (3 bag set), and had no real problems.  The bikes
did feel a bit more wobbly than usual when passing 18 wheelers at
extremely high speeds, but in general things were fine.  Still, I do
believe that the manual say you are not travel over 80 miles per hour
with the panniers . . . .  Richard & I both have gone well over that
with the two bag set on (and loaded) and have not experienced problems.

You may need to leave the panniers at home, ease her up, and see what
happens, and provided it does not start feeling squirmy, try the same
thing with just the panniers. . . .

Lisa White
Houston, Texas