RE: Heat, howling, bags, etc...

My guess is that the extra heat is coming from the exhaust. The
service manual mentions that there is a catalyst in there on the
California models, and cats run really hot.

1/3 of the gauge is pretty hot. Mine only gets that high when I
have been slipping the clutch a lot (i.e. a bunch of low-speed
work) and sitting at lights. Normal is about 1-1/2 needle widths
above the second-from-the-bottom tick mark.

> I also have the intermittent howl; in that it will
> always howl loudly when
> the key is switched on, usually it will quiet as soon
> as the fuel system is
> pressurized (I assume), but sometimes it goes on and
> on and on...loud enough
> to hear through my helmet and earplugs. The stated fix
> on the list is a
> replacement fuel pressure switch, no? Any other
> direction I can give the
> tech??

That sounds like it alright. The howl is the fuel pump - it's
mounted to the metal plate in the right side of the tank.