Re: 500 mile Service/Rocket Science

In a message dated 3/25/00 12:57:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, David G. writes:

<< I am back ordered on the
 Rear Hugger, but I will put that on myself, and I ordered a CF tank pad, but
 they can't order that until they reach the minimum order limit of $150.  So
 I will go one being angry tonight!!!!  Or at least until I get on my bike
 and go for a
 ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An initial service on a Sprint ST is not rocket science.  A good tech in a
clean organized shop should be able to do the basics in an hour and a half.
Add another hour and a half for the mudflap and brake bleeding and a 5-mile
check ride by the tech.  If he smokes, add an additional 30-minutes to the
real-time involved in the job.

The only time it is reasonable to require a cold bike for service is if the
customer wants same day service when a valve adjust comes due.  It is
reasonable to let a hot bike sit for an hour to cool down a bit before doing
work around the engine, but an astute tech would start your job with the
brake bleeding and mudflap installation as the engine cools, and then move to
the engine later on.

By the way, what is the problem with the brakes?  They may not be fully
bedded-in yet, especially if you have not done aggressive braking yet, which
is understandable during break-in.  Wipe down the rotors with a rag sprayed
with Brakleen or similar product just in case Mr. Dealer was a little lax
during setup.  There could be some cosmoline residue on the rotors.

The minimum order for FREE SHIPPING from Triumph is $100, not $150.  An
astute retailer would order a couple of tank protectors for stock and a half
a dozen tee-shirts in order to get the order in and keep his customer
satisfied.  Heck, he sold some stuff to you -- does he think that you are the
only guy on earth that wants a tank protector for his Sprint?  And I'll bet
you might spring for a tee-shirt or belt buckle if he actually had some of
the stuff in stock, eh?  And dealers wonder why Kawasaki is going to start
selling accessories direct to customers via the web!  Sheesh!

Kenny Stewart
Road Dawg