Re: hiking pack

I use a convertible backpack which you can see at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles/images/katana5.jpg.

While it's not as large as my frame backpack, I find it works much better on the
bike. It has one large area, and one zippered pocket on the outside. The straps
can be tucked in the back when its not in use. I rely on a bungee net more than
individual bungee cords as the nets seem to prevent the load from shifting more.

The only time I've carried a framed backpack on a bike was my Alaska trip where my
wife was with me for part of it. In that case she wore the backpack from the ferry
to the campground which was usually a short distance.

I've never felt comfortable leaving my bike somewhere during an extended hike so
the pack mentioned above was mostly for day hikes. An added plus is that  it
matches the appearance of the rest of my soft luggage.