Re: Fried 2 week old ST

At 05:25 PM 5/3/2000 +0000, Jon Stiffler wrote:
>Unfortunately, I will be driving 100 miles on Friday morning to Sacramento to pick up a new one.  At 13 days old and 800 miles, Sears bungled a dishwasher installation at my home and a fire began in the garage before the idiots were out the driveway.  30 minutes later the fire co. got water going on it and the garage was totally engulfed.  I arrived in time to watch them knock down the garage door and see the burnt out hulk that was my spanking new ST.  A truly horrible sight.

Christ!  Well, it's better than totaling the bike and helmet through
the use of an appliance truck while you are riding: no hospital or
funeral bills.  Be glad you didn't meet up with these same brain-
dysfunctional chaps on the highway.

Be sure to check on what coverage the homeowner's policy gives
toward the bike.  You have insurance on the home and contents,
you might get them to pony up the deductible on the bike, because
your only loss should be the deductible on the homeowners.  Also,
some homeowners policies have contents covered for *replacement*
cost.  This might cover any difference between the motorcycle
policy (current value, including the big depreciation when you
drive off the lot) and the cost of the new ST.

Finally, go after Sears.  They should cover all your uninsured
costs (and your insurance company might well go after them for
the insured costs as well) under their "bonded and insured" con-
tractors insurance.  No reason for you to be out the deductible
or any depreciation on the 2 week old machine.  Also try to get
a handle on all the contents of the garage and house that were
destroyed.  Homeowners should pay for it, at replacement cost
if you have good insurance.

Sears will be lucky to get off with a mere reimbursement of the
entire loss on this one.  Good thing no one was hurt.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx