Re: Fuel Tank Pressure Release

At 08:48 AM 5/6/00 -0600, cbybee wrote:
>Was riding with a friend who has new 2000 ST,
>and when he went to open the tank to fuel up we
>got sprayed with gas due to pressure build up in the
>tank. Has the release valve been a problem on this
>bike? Any information you folks can provide would be
>a big help.

Since you have later written that it is not a CA spec bike, then the only
conclusion I can draw is that the venting system has been restricted in
some way. There are two rubber lines on the right side of the bike - one
leads to the overfill drain (if you put too much fuel in). The other is the
tank vent line. First make sure that it has not been caught between the
motor and the frame. Open the filler cap - you should be able to blow
through the line unrestricted. The vent line then runs though the filler
cap - if the line has no blockage than the problem is in the cap.

- - Eric