Re: ST Handling/cornering

Keith Peters wrote:

> Robert at 10:58 09/05/2000 , you wrote:
> >Stengths:
> >* Excellent mirrors
>
> Disagree with this, all I get is 50% usage from my mirrors as the other 50%
> is a nice view of my elbows. During recent rider training the instructor
> asked if I was going out of my way to move my head from side to side to see
> in the mirrors just to prove I was using them. I said no its the only way I
> can see what's behind. If you've made changes to them to class them as a
> strength, please let me know the secret.

We first let me say.  My basis for comparison is other sport bikes.
Which usually vibrate constantly, and are not set far enough out to be
useful at all.  I do move my head sometimes to get a better view as well.
I guess that doesn't bother me too much.

I have the mirrors set so that I get about 40% view of my elbows and 60%
of the road to the rear and to the sides.  I find this gives a pretty good rear and
side view except immediately behind the bike. I rarely have someone immediately
behind me (except maybe at stops).  So, I am not usually trying to look there.

* = field of vision in mirrors

       -o-

   * * o * *
* * *    * * *
* * *    * * *
* *          * *
* * *    * * *
* * * * * * *

Maybe a convex mirror would improve what you seek?

I thought that a while ago there was some conversation about mounting a
rectangular convex mirror the opposite way as normally fitted on cages
(i.e. thick part to the outside) to get a better view behind.  Maybe that was on
another conversation. See my ascii  art of the mirror below.

+-----------------------+
 |                       -===  |
 |                       -===  |
 |                                 |
 +----------------------+

Something like that?

> >Potential Improvements I would like:
> >* Wind buffeting (maybe taller screen?)
>
> As per some of the other people on the list I have recently fitted the Zero
> Gravity double bouble screen. The air flow hitting me is now smoother, so
> less tiring, so I class this as a good purchase.

Thanks.

<snip>

Regards,
Robert