Re: Re: ST Handling/cornering

ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> you get into it: You brake and/or get into the correct gear BEFORE entering the turn!

> Once
> was due to another racer falling down in front of me at Roebling Road
> in Savannah Ga. at around 90-100MPH.  The other two were:  Loosing the
> front end due to too much front brake while heeled over in a turn at
> Gratten, Mich. and also loosing the front end due to too much front
> brake while heeled over in a turn at Las Vegas International (yes I am
> a slow learner!)  Get into the habit of doing your braking before
> entering a turn!  There may be occasions when something unexpected
> will happen in front of you after starting the turn and you will need to
> brake, and some bikes will behave better than others while doing it
> but it is not a good habit to aquire and use on the street or on
> the track.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Generally, I agree with everything said above.  Applying the
brakes while the bike is "heeled over" (to me this means well
into the turn, at or near the apex)  is generally a losing
proposition.

Are you saying you don't use the brakes at all, ever, once you have
started to turn-in?  I'm asking in the context of the track.

On the track, I regularly brake into the first part of some corners
like very slow DR corners at the end of a straight, or when passing
on the brakes going into a corner.  I have never crashed or come
close to crashing when doing this.  Sometimes, there is PLENTY
of traction for braking while entering into a corner.

So the next question is how does the bike handling react when
doing this.  If the shortened wheelbase quickens the steering,
a very nice, quick turn in is possible after trailing off the brakes.
This makes for a fast way around a corner.

If a bike is all "squirrly", the line may change (run wide), or
cause a slower turn in which slows the maximum allowable speed due
to less available lean angle.

Once the bike is substantially leaned (or otherwise near the
limit of traction), touching the front brake is inviting an
instant crash.

:^)