Handling/cornering

Hello Everyone:
	To reply to Robert's post, I ride just in weather conditions and roads as you have
described!
	When turning, I slow/shift before entering and "power through" them. If I have a
bit too much speed, I SLOWLY roll off the throttle or just "kiss' the rear brake to scrub
off a bit of speed. I try to do everything associated with the turn smoothly a la Keith
Code. I always am careful about shifting my weight and countersteering. Mostly, I take
my time and set up my entry. This is the way I was taught, so I have developed the habit.
The ST is stable as a ROCK in all of my turns. There are lots of twisties here in
Pennsylvania, so I get to practise almost every day. FWIW, I'd like to add that the ST
does not need lots of input at the handlebars. You can actually mess up your turns by
inadvertantly placing pressure/weight on the bars. I have had a great deal of success by
using a very light touch and shifting my weight. The bike is very stable and can be
"overcontrolled" and made to turn poorly. Make sure that you aren't placing too much
effort on the grips. The ST responds to some pressure on the LOW grip when turning.
Make sure that you don't cancel this input by placing pressure on the Higher grip.
	As for windblast, just buy the ZeroGravity "double bubble" windscreen. It is the
best investment I made aside from the panniers, hugger and fender/mudguard extensions.
	I would recommend that you take about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 full turns "IN" on your
front fork Preload screws and at least 4 full turns "IN" on the rear Preload screw. I'd
take about 1/2 to 3/4 turn to the "stiffer" direction to the rebound damping screw. I'm
willing to wager that your bike is set too soft for the type of riding you are doing. (Not a
large wager, though.)
	I switched to aftermarket foam grips. I have no issues with handlebar buzzing.
Perhaps it's time to shift into the next gear to stop the buzziness you feel in the
handlebars. I learned a neat trick to alleviate/dampen the buzzing in certain types of
handlebars. Take some clean, dry sand and fill the hollow portion of the bars about 1/3
to 1/2 full. Not too much!! The sand vibrates inside and soaks up the worst part of the
vibes. I don't know if this will work on our bikes. (But a thought nevertheless.)
	As for the Heat, it's coming from the three into one exhaust system. It's
strategically placed to allow the heat to rise mostly on the right side of the engine/fairing
and there ain't much we can do about it
	My bottom line is that the ST has its own personality. Take some time to "bond"
with your machine and get to know its strong and weak points. Learn how to ride the
bike and get the most out of it. It has taken some time to grow accustomed to how
Triumphs behave versus fifteen years of Moto Guzzi's. I have had to unlearn and relearn
many things. Triumphs are quite different from Guzzi's. Once I "got it", Triumphs don't
feel/handle so peculiar after all.
See you on the street & be well,
Howard Stephen Serlick
Philadelphia