Gear Shifter; Painting vs. Replacing

>Has anyone's gear shifter rubber worn out?  I only have 6500 miles on it
and
>the thing is disintegrating.

Well, I won't make a joke as I am on my third gear shift rubber in 18,000
miles . . . . Please don't touch that one, guys . . . .  The gear shift
rubber on Richard's bike is just now starting to show some wear.

>If the damaged sections are not too deep, a good painter may be able to
>wet-sand them out and just repaint. Just a thought--far cheaper than
>replacing.

I will say that our experience with the repainting option has not been good.
We kept the top box from Richard's Sprint Exec. to use on my ST, but we
needed to repaint it.  The first guy did a great job painting, but the color
did not match ($35.00 for paint only down the tube).  The second guy matched
the color but I can't use the word I want to to describe the paint job.  He
wanted an exorbitant price for the crappy work as well.  We didn't pay it.
The new lid for the top box  was purchased in the correct color for $200.00.

If you are going for the painting option, find the Standox paint code, price
the paint (it's high), and make SURE the person who quotes the job for you
does quality work.  Depending on the "going rate" in your area, you may find
that the price difference does not warrant the hassle of painting.

Just my $.02 worth!

Lisa White