throttle free play

Just wondering what is the acceptable amount of free play in the throttle
twist grip is...I know what the manual says, but I just came from a
dealership that has a few new Triumphs on the floor, and all had varying
amount of 'free play'.  The reason I am all of a sudden curious, I recently
installed the Euro headlight switch (no problems), and I am now noticing more
play in the twist grip than I like. I tried the adjustment at the grip
itself, doesn't seem to have much effect. I now want to check down at the
throttle bodies, but I think that requires tank removal. Any tips beforehand
on that procedure before I begin?

TIA,
John Heinzer
'00 SPRINT ST