throttle free play

Jwheinzer@xxxxxxx writes:
 > Just wondering what is the acceptable amount of free play in the
 > throttle twist grip is...I know what the manual says, but I just
 > came from a dealership that has a few new Triumphs on the floor,
 > and all had varying amount of 'free play'.

    Most manuals I've read recommend about 2mm of free play.  I'd say
that as long as the cable goes slack when the throttle is shut (that
is, the throttle does actually shut all the way) then any more is down
to personal preference.  I myself prefer very little slack.

 > The reason I am all of a sudden curious, I recently installed the
 > Euro headlight switch (no problems), and I am now noticing more
 > play in the twist grip than I like. I tried the adjustment at the
 > grip itself, doesn't seem to have much effect.

    Not a lot :-(

 > I now want to check down at the throttle bodies, but I think that
 > requires tank removal. Any tips beforehand on that procedure before
 > I begin?

    Sorry, never had to do that.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_               I don't have the time or the fridge
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Richard Moore