Re: chain cleaning

TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx wrote:

> [...] and the chain has remained clean and lubricated ever
> since, with no effort at all on my part.

Hear, hear! A Scottoiler is one of the best accessories you can buy,
IMHO. I don't know of too many other accessories that basically give you
more riding time; you spend less (or no) time cleaning, lubing and
adjusting your chain.

However, in answer to the original poster's question, I'd clean the
chain in accordance with whatever the owner's manual recommends.
Unfortunately, I don't have my ST (or its manual) handy, so I don't
remember what it recommends. (The FAQ is silent on the matter, too,
BTW.) On my prior bike, which had a D.I.D. X-Ring chain, the
recommendation was for a kerosene cleaning and 50W motor oil lube. I
ignored the recommendation and used Simple Green, a toothbrush, and some
elbow grease to clean it, and PJ-1 Blue to lube it. Didn't cause any
problems and the chain was still in spec after 6K miles.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA
00 Sprint ST (Sapphire Blue)