Re: Dyno results

At 08:58 AM 5/15/00 -0500, Bird, Garry wrote:
>****This is not a California spec bike.  It's got the Canadian spec
>emissions controls, eh.  Like, nothing.  My buddy just had his Speed
>Triple dynoed on the same machine and he came out with 97 hp.  Now I feel
>really sick.  I'm trying to convince a Sprint riding buddy of mine to get
>his bike dynoed so we can compare and see if there really is a problem.****

If it's not a CA spec bike then it should easily be in the mid 90's.

There are a couple of things on the dyno setup that can be causing this.

First - slippage of the rear tire. If the Speed Triple has better tread
than that could be your first source of the difference.

Second - Air temperature reading. All dynos account for humidity, pressure
and temperature. The position of the temperature probe on the dyno is very
important. If they have the probe just hanging on the front of the rig, you
will see a lower reading on your dyno. Because the ST draws air from behind
the headstock it requires a good airflow to get cool air to the airbox
(remembering that the speed triple has no fairing). Normally on the road
this is not a problem, but on a dyno usually they just have a fan blowing
air toward the bike. In order to get an accurate measurement of temp (and
with it, probably a higher hp) the probe needs to be in the airbox. You can
easily check the difference in temperature if the dyno is at a triumph
dealer by hooking up the programming tool and use that to look at the
temperature that it is measuring and compare that with the dyno probe.

HTH

- - Eric