Re: brake lever excessive travel

This sounds like a defect somewhere. I had this issue with BMW and
practically had to take legal action. My advise is to go the the shop and
find a floor model with good brakes that meets your standards. This is not a
problem do to the fact that the level travel is fine on this bike normally.
Tell the service manager/owner that you insist that your brakes work like
those fine examples and that you will be willing to pay for replacement
parts that have worn (new pads, fluids), but as far as you are concerned,
your brakes are clearly (by direct comparison) out of spec with a new bike
on his showroom floor. If he says the 2000 has better brakes (it should not
be different) then demand an upgrade (politely) from Triumph. He and Triumph
would have to otherwise claim that (1) your 1999 brakes were designed to
work differently (inadequate lever travel) than the perfect 1999/2000 floor
model or (2) they would have to make the statement that the ST brakes
degrade in normal usage, even if new fluid and pads are used. Both arguments
(1) and (2) are entirely indefensible from a legal or business standpoint -
brakes are the most import safety component on that vehicle! If they cannot
make your brakes work to showroom spec or close, they are *defective* and
should be replaced without delay - simple as that. I informed (in writing)
BMW service that if they would not fix my sucky/dangerous K1200RS brakes, I
would file a report with the National Highway Safety Administration
forthwith, indicating that my brakes (and many others) had a known defective
braking system that was a safety issue. Within hours of receiving this
letter (faxed from my dealer to them) the BMW NA service department saw some
value in paying to rebuild the entire braking system and thereby fixing the
problem. Polite but tough *may* be the only way, but of course *only* after
you have given your local dealer where you purchased the bike every possible
opportunity to rectify the problem. Why I did was partly in collusion with
my dealer to help him get the support he needed. What I suggest above is
clearly a compromise (you pay parts) that can work for pervasive problems
like this thay may require some trial and error.

Greg Girard