Re: brake lever excessive travel

I have a 1999. My brakes work fine wrt both travel and feel.

Have you tried to adjust the lever travel? If not, try that first.

I have mine on setting '2'. At the moment, on my bike this gives
about 2.5cm of travel before the brakes engage.  I think '1' gives
slightly less travel.

Is the travel on your bike more than 2-3 cm?

As the pads grind down, the lever will travel more.  That's just the way it.
You may want to check the pad thickness.

RS